Sunday, February 22, 2015

pre-Mount Whitney camping

Camping heaven before the longest hike of life

In case you didn't know, in June 2014, I climbed Mount Whitney with CJ and four of my best Frayno frenns - Calie, Jamie, Esther, & Thai.
The idea came from Calie who had been wanting to do it and we decided to join her!

In order to somewhat acclimate ourselves to the altitude, we camped out a few nights before our big hike at a campground close to Whitney portal.

What are men compared to rocks and trees?


Sometimes I like feeling like a giant person on a tiny bench


Handsome setting up a fire for din din


Our little chair set up


Pictures never do nature justice... This was a little stream a few steps from our camp site.


Northface models


Tahi found a good use for all those straps on his backpack!


I love these girls, so so much! My soul sistafrenns for life.


S'mores could very well be the best things in life


...I rest my case...


Making the perfect marshmallow


Us girls lovin on some s'mores!

When Calie & I went shopping for camp food we found these and HAD to get it
We got a few to surprise JLG & Estee too!


Frennships



FUN/CRAZY story: It was pretty much pitch black at our campsite and I took off the heart glasses because I couldn't see. Well when my eyes finally adjusted I looked past into the shadows of the adjacent campsite and thought I saw a bear. I said to the rest of the group "I think I saw a bear" and they didn't believe me. I figured they were correct since I don't have the best eyesight of the group (not to mention that I was the only one without a headlamp!) Well I kept looking and could have SWORN I saw something hunched over in the next campsite so I mentioned it again and CJ pointed his headlamp in that direction and YEP, THERE WAS A BEAR! We all started yelling and the bear just nonchalantly walked away into the darkness...

When we went to bed that night Calie was afraid to sleep in her tent alone

The next morning we found that estee & JLG's tent was empty...

...and three little heads all in Calies tent.

We had to pick up our Mt Whitney passes so we drove down into town


Smiles now


We both said to ourselves, "Can't believe we are doing this!"








Tahi was SO amused by the puppets!


Even the tiny finger puppets. haha





HOW BEAUTIFUL IS THIS?!
Seriously, the blue sky, the white mountains, the brown hills and the green trees... perfection!






Later that day we decided to hike up a bit to tire ourselves out to prepare for the next day







Hitting up the first 1% of the trail


Glad we took pics of this because we would never see this sign during the daytime again...


The Mount Whitney hike was the most beautiful, rocky, picturesque, grueling yet rewarding hike of my entire life... Stay tuned for our longest day (and hike) ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment