Saturday, January 14, 2012

creaky frrrozen lakes

CJ and AUD explore the Eastern Sierras of California, 2012.

CJ is back in Nevada for a little bit and he waited patiently for my week work to end so that we can explore on my three day weekend!

We initially planned to go to Yosemite because the pass isn't closed due to the very dry winter we've been having. (I think the big guy upstairs has answered my prayers of a not-so snowy time here in NV!)


One of my coworkers suggested we try out June Lake which isn't very far from Yosemite. CJ googled it (because of course we had never heard of it) and he said it looks very beautiful. Just like that, plans changed & we decided to check it out!

We packed a lunch, water & some snacks and set out for June Lake...

On our way up you can see these waterfalls that are half frozen and half running. 
It was beautiful.

Our first stop was Silver Lake. One of the lakes near June Lake.
It was completely frozen over & it was making crazy creaking sounds.


Here's a video of us at the lake.


It was our first time stepping out onto a frozen lake. When the lakes around here freeze over and there isn't snow, it is normal for visitors to whip out their ice skates and go skating!
CJ and I are thinking about investing in some for ourselves when we explore so that way we can join in on the fun!!

CJ walking on water... ok ICE.

Meditating on a lake was pretty bad ass, if I do say so myself!

Dumb or Dumber? Hanging out in the middle of a frozen lake or trying to lick it?

After our fun on Silver lake we decide to head up to June Lake. 
Parts of June lake was frozen, but the scenery was breathtaking.
THIS is where the saying "stop and smell the roses" originated from. (OK so there are no roses around, but still)
In life, it is so important to stop and appreciate the beauty of nature...
I never really stopped and appreciated nature until I met CJ.

We decided to have a picnic by the lake and CJ was skipping rocks along the frozen areas of June Lake.



Here is a video of CJ skipping rocks on the ice... Listen carefully for the cool sounds it makes!




On the June Lake Loop there are several trails. 
CJ was going to hike one, but there was snow on the ground, it was cold, and the mile hike would've included a 1000 incline he was not prepared for.

The city around June lake is so quaint. We would love to rent (or maybe even own) a cabin here one day.

Look how picturesque this is!!

A little drive later and we're in Mammoth which included the most snow I've seen since arriving in Nevada (& it's not even Nevada)

Mammoth IS open for business, my snowboarding/skiing friends.
AND you can totally stay at my place if you want! (though it is an hour and a half away)

We stopped at a restaurant in town and ate a delicious lunch!
I had sweet potato fries & a tuna melt. CJ had onion rings & a philly cheesesteak.

On the way home CJ had to stop the take a picture of June Meadows.
It was hard to believe that we were just in Mammoth where there was a lot of snow.


I loved that we got to explore the Eastern Sierras.
CJ mentioned that we (probably) would never have found these little gems if I didn't live in Nevada. I hate to admit it (because deep down I think I'm avoiding reasons to be thankful to be living in NV) but he's totally right, and I know it won't be the last time we explore it!

No comments:

Post a Comment